2.04.2021

Late Night Tacos

This day skewed late because we decided to have tacos for dinner and smoked the pork on our grill, which is not an entirely predictable process, time-wise anyway. Delicious-wise, it's very predictable. I made red cabbage slaw and black beans and rice. Avocados were on sale and perfectly ripe for once. Marko helped me cook the tortillas so it went fast. A feast! On a Thursday. We started the day off with pancakes, bacon and orange juice and I gave them pasta and meatballs for lunch so it was a day of favorite foods for all the kids.


Schooling went ok. Max took another science class on Outschool. The teacher is great, and I think it's good to see other kids and wait for his turn to talk and things like that. Marko blew through all of his assignments very quickly. I struggle with what to assign him because he very quickly hits a frustration point if I aim too low, but the second grade workbooks often seem too easy. Laurel spent a long time on math and is improving her accuracy, but she can really only work with NO distractions. Not a possibility in this iteration of homeschool. We've been pulling a card from this deck that has all noteworthy Black women and then reading about them. Today it was Carol Moseley Braun. We watched this interview where she gave this quote about constantly striving to "perfect our democracy" that really resonated with me. 

Laurel took a walk around the neighborhood with her friend...how cool that they are big enough to go off on their own a little bit now. The boys played Kirby Clash for a while. There is something that Marko is trying to achieve on his Pokemon game that I don't totally understand but he spends a lot of time verbally planning what he's going to do before he starts playing. It's an interesting genre for me to observe. There are a few games that are the kid equivalent of electronic slot machines in Reno, but most of them require a fair amount of reading, problem solving and teamwork. 

Marko started to listen to The People Could Fly on Audible and he went on an ebook borrowing binge from the library, clogging up my kindle with Percy Jackson titles. 

I spent some time doing modules on my CPR recertification class and participated in a homeschool parent discussion board. 

Also, my Girl Scouts became locally famous for the dog rescue situation on Saturday. My dad texted today to say that he heard about it on the radio! The mama dog is ok, by the way, but the pups were never found. 

No comments: