2.03.2021

Car School

The sun came out today! Sometimes getting in the car and going somewhere is a good way to get the kids to finish their work. Today we went back to my parents to sled some more. The track was slick. Laurel and Marko both had math to finish. Laurel is working on dividing decimals and it's so tedious. I can do it very quickly and I wonder when she'll get fast at it. Was I fast at it in 5th grade? Max brought his big workbook and did some pages, all the while complaining that I was driving too fast and ruining his handwriting. 


One of my favorite routines we've adopted is Max's "Five Books." We each have to read to him and he reads to one of us every day. Today my mom gave us a bunch of her old books and Marko read a book about winter animals to Max while we were in the car. They really giggled over the weasel and the prairie dogs.

Laurel and I did some reading on Ida B. Wells. We learned that she actually owned a part of a newspaper in addition to being a journalist. She had to permanently leave her home in Memphis after she wrote an article about a lynching, and was threatened with being lynched herself. There's a new book about her that was written by her great-granddaughter that I want to check out. 

Last night some of the kids had trouble falling asleep, so I tried to get them to exercise more today. This mostly resulted in me doing a whole lot of tabata. I'm definitely tired! 

No comments: