10.27.2009

Harvard Beets

We got awesome vegetables from the market last week. Since we worked our way through all the greens, we started in on the roots. First, M roasted the carrots in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then he decided to tackle Harvard Beets. Usually we just roast our beets plain, but to make Harvard Beets, you have to slice and boil them. Then you make a sauce of beet juice, sugar, vinegar and a little bit of corn starch. After it thickens you mix the beets into the sauce. It's very delicious and messy. We also had beans on toast. If you are not familiar with this dish, it is a British "delicacy" for poor college students - sort of the equivalent of ramen or mac-n-cheese. Anyway, they do sell the real Heinz beans (look for the ones in the blue can) at the Giant Eagle, but we just used the Giant Eagle brand organic Maple and Onion baked beans, which are much cheaper and very good. I would say this meal is not lacking in the vitamin department, but at the same time, the sugar content might be a bit high to actually consider it healthy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your great-grandmother used to make Harvard beets regularly. I LOVED them and still do. You can cut back on the sugar a little bit, and they are still good. Later a version with some orange juice entered my life, also very good. I can't understand why some people don't like beets. My mother also made wonderful turnips, another much maligned vegetable. A little butter -- well, maybe a lot of butter -- and nutmeg made them a special treat. I think I will go and buy some roots today. Love, Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

I like beets . . . and turnips!!
You can cook for me anytime . . . well almost anytime.
love,
aunt laine

Trisha R. Butler said...

I think you guys should move to California with us. Jamie and I belong to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) where our local farm actually delivers a box of fresh produce to our door on a weekly basis. It's fun because we never know what we're going to get! You would love it!