10.05.2009

Breaking Bread

I believe sharing meals solidifies relationships. We go out to eat for dates and with friends. We share meals with family at important holidays. When I was growing up, we ate dinner together every single night...when busy high school sports schedules interrupted dinner time, I remember my mom or dad would at least sit with me while I ate a late night meal after a soccer game. Today we had the pleasure of Sunday brunch with Jack, where he cooked his best ever omelet and delicious pancakes. We roasted tiny red and yellow potatoes that M carefully picked out of the bin at the Co-op yesterday. I sliced up a giant, perfectly ripe, Honey Crisp apple. When bellies are full and a half a cup of coffee remains, you can sit without even talking, and get to know a person better.

Later Sarah came over for tea, which lingered into dinner time, and M served up gratin turnips and peanut butter spinach and Brussels sprouts. She brought with her a baby gift, a black and gold blanket that, yes, you are seeing that correctly, pierogies stitched into the edging. How awesome is that?!! Later on in football season, maybe after winter starts to creep into western PA, bringing with it snow flakes and early dusk, we'll have a little baby to wrap up in that blanket while we watch the games. But tonight, it was just M and me, lounging on the couch and eating peanut butter cookies.

I can't sleep. I have this weird tingling middle finger and jumpy legs. Anxious. Restless. It reminds me of Sunday-evening-before-the-first-day-of-school feeling. The baby is squirming around a lot. Rosie the Cat is on the prowl, chasing the bugs that were chased inside by the cool temperatures. I think it's a full moon. I brought in all the plants from the front porch and now our dining room has a tropical feel to it. I would do a little homework, but Pitt's stupid Courseweb site won't load. I wonder how many months it will be before I sleep all night again. I hope I'm not keeping M awake. It's so late that there are hardly even any cars going by outside, and the morning trucks haven't started yet. Now that the weather has cooled off, the late night motorcycle rides and races seem to have ceased. It's very peaceful in our corner of the city.

It's kind of making me sleepy. Nothing like late-night bloggin' to cure an insomniac.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for remembering.
Pa

Trisha R. Butler said...

Every time a Steelers game is televised in our part of the country, Jamie and I always make pierogies for dinner. It's our little way of keeping in touch with our inner Pgh selves!

Anonymous said...

Anytime you want to share a meal in Charlottesville, you know who will welcome you.

Do you have enough Sleepytime tea?

Aunt Mary