12.04.2008

Welcome to the Neighborhood

I have to admit, I've been waiting all week for the Welcome Wagon Lady, but she never came. Maybe it's not very twenty-first century. Maybe it only happens on TV.

But I did see flyers for the neighborhood association potluck holiday party. I whipped up a batch of my famous peanut noodle salad, and off we went.

Since our prior experience with neighbors consisted of listening to our downstairs crack addict neighbor shouting "Pow!" at 3 o'clock in the morning, we didn't really know what to expect. Would the neighbors like us? Would we like them? Would we now feel guilty about playing our drums really loud, once we met them face to face?

However, it was an enjoyable party and a very efficient way to meet everybody in the neighborhood. It was oddly warming to hear people introduce us as the "couple who bought Ms. Lucy's house." We were also pleasantly surprised to discover that our neighborhood is filled with excellent cooks. There is even a neighborhood supper club! We both walked out of the party feeling even happier that we moved here than we did before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! So good that you're amongst good neighbors. I worry that I bother downstairs neighbors with my sewing machine, but they play really loud Fleetwood Mac and techno, so it's a wash...

Leahy