5.11.2008

What's for (vegan) Brunch?

M and I hosted a small brunch today in honor of Mother's Day. I spent a lot of the weekend over at Matt and Loren's since they were hosting their wedding celebration dinner this weekend, so I wanted to make something that would be easy to pull together.

My vision was for some sort of a breakfast casserole. I found a ton of recipes, but all called for eggs and milk. Go figure. So I sort of improvised. And when I say "I", I really mean the dear sweet man I am married to, who really should be credited for the success of today's meal.

But anyway, it turned out pretty darn good, so here's the recipe.

3 large potatoes, shredded
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pack vegan breakfast "sausages"
1 loaf soft italian bread, sliced and dried out overnight
some soy milk
some tofu
some herbs and spices that included; black pepper, salt, nutmeg, and turmeric (for color)

In a greased casserole dish, we placed the slices of bread, then spread the potato/pepper/onion/sausage mixture over top, added some more sliced bread on top of that, and then poured a mixture of tofu, soy milk and spices over top of the whole thing. I don't have the exact proportions for that, but I can advise you to use silken tofu, and some un-sweetened brand of soy milk and mix it up the blender until it is pourable. I also blended in the turmeric and seasoning.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes covered, then about 15-25 minutes uncovered so it will firm up on the top.

I also baked some of my famous strawberry muffins, and we made a little fruit platter.

So Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms out there, especially my own Mum, who only gets more adventuresome and interesting as she ages, and to my Mom-in-Law, Kate, who has welcomed me with open arms into her family for the past decade.

I am also thinking of my friend Trisha, who was not anybody's mom a year ago, but now is, and seems to be excellent in that role. I am thinking specifically of the way we watched her handle her son's explosive poop bomb (so powerful that the poo actually oozed up out of the diaper clear to the back of his neck) in an amazingly calm and matter of fact way.

No comments: