5.07.2008

26 Days Left

Or thereabouts. There seems to be some disagreement about what counts as a school day. Regardless, it's been an interesting year. In general I like my students. However, I find them to be among the most argumentative, catty, and socially immature students I have ever known. Do you remember when you were a kid and there were certain things that you would never dream of doing in school, even though you might attempt them at home? School as a Sacred Place? Well, maybe not. Maybe school was never a very positive place. I certainly hated it as a kid. I never felt particularly safe from ridicule or bullying, or boredom. So I feel particularly terrible whenever I feel powerless to stop this.

So in the 26 days I have left with them, here is what I want to focus on...

1. How to "tell him how I feel" - this is sort of a catch phrase that a lot of teachers use when they hear some tattling. But my 2nd grade students seem to be having trouble with the concept. Maybe because if you tell somebody how you feel and they don't listen the conversation never really goes anywhere. So I want to do some modeling and role playing and guided practice, and maybe learn to be a better listener myself.

2. Addition and subtraction facts. Good lord, they have to know these before third grade. No more counting by tapping fingers on their nose. Some things should just be memorized. Flash cards, five minute drills, contests, etc.

3. Waiting in line. There are so many places where one has to wait in line patiently. The bank. The post office. Airport security. The box office to pick up tickets to a sold-out show. Wedding reception greeting lines. Before a Barak Obama rally. I would like my students to master the ability to quietly day dream while appearing to be paying attention, which is what I do.

4. How to draw a picture with details. Quality not quantity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please post your lesson plan on how to daydream and wait in line. Five step lesson plan please, complete with SWBAT.

(I honestly do not remember the 5 steps to a lesson plan.)

L.