2.06.2008

What Do You Love About It?

Mayor Luke has asked us to write Why I Love Pittsburgh for Valentine's Day. While googling to see if this contest was actually real, I came across this promotion of a new book. Reasons that Pittsburgh is great, according to this book, include the fact that 250 million people showed up to Super Bowl XL celebration parade ("1 fer de thumb!") and we are the eighteenth most educated city in the nation.

Describing my love for Pittsburgh in 50 words or less would be tough for me. Unlike M, who is unquestionably devoted, I have more of a love-hate relationship with the region. It's like a mother to me....I love her, but I have the urge to grow and start my own life. Black and gold make me feel nostalgic, but I look anemic and pasty in these colors. Of course I look anemic and pasty in everything these days, since I haven't been exposed to sunlight in two months.

So what can I say? Pittsburgh, it's where I'm from, and I can think of no other place where I would rather be from.

No comments: