2.14.2008

Downsides of City Living

The evils of Pittsburgh winter weather and street parking collided this morning when I attempted to drive to work. Having parallel parked in a rather small spot that was filling with melting snow on Wednesday evening, I found my car, literally, frozen to the road on Thursday morning. Normal protocol for an apartment-dweller caught in this type of situation is to locate the hammer and a serving spoon and begin chipping and moving the ice. However, I was feeling flu-ish and cranky, and this was not an appealing course of action in the 10 degree weather. I promptly shut off the car and headed back inside, changed into my pajamas and called my principal.

All day I could hear the squeal of spinning tires as people attempted to move their cars. The temperature rose throughout the day, and the ice began to melt. Around five, I went outside to make another attempt to move the car. Luckily there was nobody parked behind me by that point and I was able to, with dramatic tire-spinning and squealing, back up enough to get out of the spot. I moved into what I hope is a more desirable spot, and we'll have another go at it tomorrow.

The only solution is to get rid of the car. M has been biking to work in the snow and he always arrives home with tales of adventure and fun. I am seriously considering getting a bus pass. Although it takes twice as long to get to work on the bus, I find it considerably less stressful. The bus never gets frozen to the road. And I can grade papers while on the bus, thus reducing work I do while actually at home.

No comments: