2.13.2008

Pittsburgh, the Movie starring Jeff Goldblum

Yesterday was M's birthday, and it being a weekday, and me not feeling all that well, we kept it fairly low-key and wandered down the street to rent a video. Well, we did a terrible job of picking out something to watch. We started off with Jeff Goldblum's Pittsburgh, and were left feeling slightly vexed by the end. I don't want Jeff Goldblum to be from Pittsburgh, or at least I don't want him to TELL anyone that this is his hometown. It ruins my stereotype of Iron City Men.

However, I have to admit that when I viewed this film, I thought it was completely made up. Now, having read more about it, and discovering that 90% of it was real, or at least a version of reality, I am slightly more intrigued. Especially since we got bored with this film and started watching YouTube videos. Goldblum is cheekily evasive in interviews about what was improvised, what was planned out in advanced, etc. And what is real anyway? I spend all day with six year olds...do you think they go home with the same version of reality imprinted on their little minds as I do? We are surrounded by 'reality tv', which is anything but.

Nonetheless, I think it sucks that Pittsburgh is considered by some to be a good place to parody. Go play with someone else's reality, Jeff Goldblum. I might just have to come to YOUR neighborhood and make a mockumentary about your lame life. So there.

No comments: