2.16.2008

Mountains and Valleys

Six months ago I was sweating my way up and down 4,000 foot mountains. I cannot say that "Yay! This is fun!" was something going through my head all the time. But it could be so darn rewarding. I went to a lovely dinner the other night for my friend Loren, who is getting married in a few months and was chatting with her aunt about the experience. She asked me what my favorite parts were and it got me to thinking.

I loved taking deep, satisfying breaths of fresh mountain air.

I loved sleeping soundly for as long as I needed to (once I stopped worrying about every little gnawing sound or mouse running next to my head).

I loved eating food that felt like it was literally fueling my body. I could feel it flow into my muscles and propel me up steep switchbacks.

I loved waking up to a to-do list that included only "1. Walk to Maine."

I loved walking by myself in the woods, enjoying the solitude, alone with my daydreams (until some large creature crashing through the brush nearby would send me scurrying down the trail in seach of M).

I loved having limited access to telephones, email and news. It made my conversations with friends and family all the more valuable...I really thought about what I was going to say during our next conversation. I loved not hearing about a suicide bombing every single day.

I loved being with my M all day and all night, walking, literally, the same path.

No comments: