1.17.2007

All aboard!

Well, it's official - we've booked the tickets, and are Georgia-bound in just a few weeks. Rather than fly (expensive, good chance our gear will be lost or messed up), drive (what to do with the auto for 6 months?) or take the bus (seriously, have you taken the bus on a ride that long), we'll be travelling by the transportation that changed America: railroad.

Hopefully this experience is better than my last. We had these free flights from Southwest, and K was in Atlanta for 6 weeks, so I thought I'd go visit. Except Southwest doesnt fly to Atlanta - no matter, they fly to Birmingham, AL, and the train goes right through there... I could get there for $30 instead of $350. Seemed well, except the northbound Crescent train was delayed. Really delayed. I think it was supposed to arrive at 1:15 or so, but had been delayed until 8:30 or 9:00. I walked several miles, rented a car, and drove to Atlanta before the train even showed up, and I ended up spending around what a ticket to fly into Atlanta would have cost anyway. sigh.

Anyhow, this time things will go better. I've still never travelled by rail, nor has K. We'll be leaving Da Burgh on 2/21 and heading to DC to visit some family. From there it's another train to Charlottesville to visit more family. Then a third train (the dreaded Crescent!) to the ATL. We're not in a hurry, and have left plenty of time inbetween trains. Only a few weeks, and we'll be on our way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

Traveling by rail is fun. The good thing is you don't have to take a bus.

Patrick