3.02.2013

Double the Kids, Double the Fun

It takes a really long time to leave the house. If I had one more kid, I would probably never go anywhere. Part of it is winter and trying to bundle everybody up. Laurel always takes some convincing that it's cold outside and she needs to wear a coat. Then we have a long discussion about whether she should wear snow boots or sneakers. Then she has to decide what stuffed animal will be joining us. It's a very long process. Mark O continues to be very portable. Provided I remember to feed him before we leave the house he is good for 2 or 3 hours. That's about as long as I can chase Laurel anyway.

Today we went to the Art House. This awesome artist has a whole house that she opens up to neighborhood kids in Homewood and they paint and sculpt and create all kinds of amazing art. Today was their open house and some of the kid artists gave us a tour of the house, proudly showing off all of their work. Then Vanessa, the artist who runs the whole thing, threw a smock on Laurel and gave her a piece of plywood to paint. I would say it was a nice free way to spend a Saturday morning, except I know I'm going to be compelled to donate more money to her. I have a soft spot in my heart for grass-roots projects that exude joy. Laurel was literally jumping for joy by the time we left. She loved to paint and was given a lot of freedom and encouragement while she worked. Also there were donuts. With sprinkles.

I still am trying to figure out a few things...coordinating bedtime with the two kids, especially when I am alone. Streamlining breakfast preparation so it goes a little faster. When to try and squeeze in my work hours. How many loads of laundry I need to do in a day in order to stay ahead of it.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doubly terrific. Did Marc Olivier accompany you to the Art House?

Aunt Mary

k said...

He did! In the Moby wrap.

Anonymous said...

Those are two beautiful little kiddos you've got going there. Also, I love this "I have a soft spot in my heart for grass-roots projects that exude joy."

Leah