1.01.2010

Happy New Year!

The New York Times featured Tucson, AZ in their 36 Hours In...series, which brought back some vivid memories of driving back to Phoenix, AZ on the (I)10, in the middle of the night. It's a smooth, straight, flat road, and we spent many a night driving back home from a show at the Rialto or Hotel Congress. We saw some really great acts while we lived out there, Tucson gets a lot of shows. I remember special occasions at Cafe Poca Cosa, which had the best chocolate mousse, and $30 sangria, which we ordered every time Lance was with us, and always complained about when we got the check.

I'm up just as late these days sometimes...but not with a beer in my hand, listening to live music. Instead I'm staring at Laurel, as I down glass after glass of water (breastfeeding makes you really thirsty), wondering if she will ever stop eating. I feed her whenever she seems hungry, for as long as she wants. Ninety-nine percent of the time, I think this baby-led eating is the right choice for us. But every now and again, I just want to go to sleep. Or be by myself for a while. Then I start googling dangerous topics like "how to get your baby on a schedule". While I am a firm believer that children take some comfort in predictability, trying to bend the will of a babe to fit your desired schedule results only in frustration on both your parts.

Laurel is very, very awake right now. I would love for her to go to sleep, but as M pointed out, that will only end in tears for all involved parties. He is sending me to bed, and I will drift off in a few minutes, listening to the sound of him playing with Laurel and Rosie downstairs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Laurel, Rosie, Mark and Katy. Love, Aunt Mary