4.24.2009

What's the buzz about Flint?

I recently referenced an article I read in the New York Times about shrinking cities, and specifically some ideas that are being considered in Flint, MI.

A few citizens quickly jumped to Flint's defense. It occurred to me, that my statements could be interpreted as being a bit disparaging towards the city of Flint. I have to admit that my knowledge of Flint is limited to the aforementioned New York Times article, and this Michael Moore movie.

I did not intend to praise Pittsburgh at the expense of Flint. A real Yinzer doesn't insult other people's cities, as we are very sensitive to the widespread negative perception of our fair city. (Unless, of course, it is Cleveland, or maybe Philadelphia.) So, sorry, Flint.

However, I think these comments raised a very interesting issue about real estate. When people look for a place to live they are often attracted to recreation, universities, cultural activities, etc., but mainly they are looking for work. People move where there are jobs, and if your city doesn't have any, it's not going to attract a lot of people. However, one thing I learned from the housing boom is that if you live in one of these overinflated cities (Phoenix, Atlanta, San Diego) you are under a lot of pressure to keep a certain kind of job with a higher salary. What I like about Pittsburgh, and maybe what I would like even better about Flint, is that I can be much less picky about the job I take because even with a lower salary I can afford my house payment. Now, my standards and expectations for a high quality life are quite different from many people, I freely admit this. But hopefully what this so-called recession will teach us is that this constant drive for insatiable consumeristic satisfaction and fabricated safety in the form of shiny, new developments in the suburbs is not the American Dream. And there I just went insulting a whole other group of people. (Note to self, start composing an apology post to the Suburbs.) But I digress...

Flint, I have a question. I heard Michigan's Governor Jennifer Granholm this morning on NPR and things sound a bit tough for Michigan. Not that you are alone by any means. But if I move to your city, can I get a job that will pay me enough to take advantage of your cheap real estate and cultural opportunities?

3 comments:

Crissy said...

Well, I don't think there is such a thing as "job security" any where you go. I don't know what your skills are or what you want to do career-wise. Can you find a job here? I don't know. Can you find a job doing what you want in Seattle, Orlando, or Kansas City? Again, I don't know....

Personally, I was living in Alaska and I knew that if I wanted to live in Michigan and have an income that wasn't dependent on Michigan's economy, I would need to take matters into my own hands. And so I created a business that I run over the internet. I can work and live anywhere. I'm choosing to be in Flint.

If there's a will, there's a way.

Michael Kelly said...

Jobs are tough in Flint now, no doubt about that. Our unemployment is almost 15% (which, of course, means 85% are employed). But my sister was hired to a new job just last week, so things are still happening.

Anonymous said...

The newly redesigned award winning Flint Institute of Arts is the second largest art museum in Michigan and sits on a Cultural Campus within walimng distance of down town. The campus also is home to the Flint Insittute of Music (Symphony and Ballet),Sloan History Museum,Whiting Auditoriem, Longway Planetarium,Fint Youth Theatre and our main library. It is located between UM-Flint and Mott Community College and not far from Kettering Universty. If you enjoy quality arts programming- this is a gret place to live. There is also many beautiful homes with great architectural integrity.