4.09.2009

The View from Above

Sometimes the view from my office is lovely, sometimes not so much. Today, I saw police cars from countless jurisdictions lined up along Fifth and Forbes Avenue. Traffic was stopped, buses rerouted, and people lined the sidewalks to watch the procession go by. Tragedy is often an overused word these days, but I think it's rather appropriate here. The truth is, not many Pittsburgh police officers die in the line of duty, unlike places like Philadelphia, who has lost over 200 officers in its history. Or say, Iraq, where estimates for police deaths start at 12,000. But the details of this crime are particularly unsavory, and I'm sure the city will be feeling the effects of this incident for a long time to come.

2 comments:

kxm said...

It was good to go to the memorial. I needed a sense of closure, and it was important to me to make a public show of support to the force and to the families who lost loved ones. Seeing all those police cars (not to mention their varied origins) was extremely powerful. ~ kx

Anonymous said...

Hi Katy,
I'm happy to see you writing again on a regular basis. I miss it when you don't.
Happy Easter,
Uncle Joe