6.08.2008

Suburban Bliss

If your Sunday nights are spent catching up on laundry and watching CSI, I suggest that you head out to one of Allegheny County's free concerts. Bring a picnic, bring a frisbee, bring a friend.

We met up with my parents, who figure they have been going to Sunday night shows at Hartwood Acres for about twenty years. They always bring delicious picnic food, wine and extra chairs, for people like M and I, who keep losing track of our lawn furniture, on account of not having a lawn. We also met up with my brother and his crew. What I like about Hartwood Acres is that although alcohol is strictly forbidden, there are approximately 2 police officers on guard for about 15,000 people. This leads to the people amiably being discrete about their consumption, and the police looking the other way as long as no one gets too rowdy. There is a nice balance of young suburban families and elderly people and dirty hippies, and this keeps everyone in check and irony to a minimum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I sat looking over my final budget figures for our trip to Uganda, I took a moment to enjoy watching hubby, Ron, beat the young guys playing a new lawn game with strings and balls and some kind of a rack. I looked on at Megan and Peter and M & K and thanked God for the blessings of my family. And, finally, I also was thankful for the blessings of the generous parish of St. Mary of the Assumption [not far down the road from where we were sitting at the Hartwood concert] that is making our first mission trip to Uganda possible by contributing over $30,000 to the cause!