6.13.2008

Tears, Fears, and Gears

Tears
I don't ever remember crying on the last day of school, but plenty of my students did today. I wasn't sure how to react. This has been a tough year for me, and frankly, my students drove me a little crazy. Just when I was about to go over the edge, though, they would redeem themselves, and then I would write a cute and clever post about them. I will miss them, and I have to admit that I learned a lot this year. So, I'll chalk it up to another mountain conquered.

Fears
So, we're going to Africa tomorrow. I would be lying if I said that this didn't make me a little nervous. Of course I hate flying, which is pretty much the only way to get to Uganda. I am also afraid of getting a worm, even though something like 30% of the world is living with these parasites in their bodies, and really no worse for the wear. At least, it's no worse than fast food, in the long run. I am also afraid that I will have to eat meat, get malaria, or get arrested for something silly like a microscopic amount of marijuana in my shoe. Generally, my fears are pretty irrational...bears, lightening, and psycho killers who prey on campers have all been proven to be of low risk to my well-being on previous adventures. Don't know if we'll be able to post while we're over there, so look for us back online in July.

Gears
When we get back from Africa, we plan to do some hiking and biking. We are currently brainstorming a list of places we can go to that are 50 to 75 miles from Bloomfield and would make a good weekend destination. Since we are spending a good chunk of change on Uganda, it would be best if these places were cheap campgrounds. If you know of anyplace that's good and is on a well-paved, two-lane road about 75 miles from Pittsburgh, let us know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's a little farther than 75miles, but there's always Charlottesville.

Go with all our love and come back wormless. xoxox Aunt Mary

Loren said...

I just googled the directions from our house to Moraine State Park (avoiding highways)... it is 75.3 miles! They have a bunch of campsites, beaches and other cool stuff. We can take a weekend trip out there when you get back! :)

Trisha R. Butler said...

It's slightly farther than 75 miles, but the Allegheny National Forest tends to have a lot of cheap campgrounds. In the Kane area, look for Red Bridge Campground and Kiasutha Campground on the Reservoir. I believe that Clear Creek Campground in on the Clarion River close to Cook's Forest, and I'm sure that it's also lovely this time of year.