6.08.2008

Heat

The Burgh is cookin' tonight.

M and I scored some window fans from his parents' basement today, to alleviate the sweltering heat of our Bloomfield apartment, but it is still too warm to sleep, despite my fatigue.

This is my first summer back here since 2003, and I forgot what warm weather means for this region....sticky humidity, old buildings with poor ventilation that trap the heat long into the evening hours, and swarms of insects.

Now I guess we could break down and stick an AC unit in the window, like our neighbors, but we are addicted to our $19 electric bill, and are also trying to acclimate ourselves for equatorial Africa, where we will be in about a week.

Rosie the Cat recently got a haircut, so she's slightly more comfortable, and looking very sleek. It also turns out that she's not all that overweight, and we may have been over-reacting as a result of the bulkiness of her fur. Now that she is shorn, she looks like a normal sized house cat.

Heat makes everyone cranky, and nothing makes me crankier than wasting money and resources, and I can think of no bigger waste than digging a tunnel under a river when there are 74 bridges in the city proper and 944 in the Greater Pittsburgh region, which goes to show that we are plenty good at getting over all the water, and should have no need to go under it. Incidentally, we were down at PNC Park tonight (near the site of the aforementioned ridiculous tunnel), courtesy of M's dad, who took us to the baseball game. It was a close match, against a team we supported in the recent past, the AZ Diamondbacks, but the Buccos were unable to close the deal, and lost 4-3. It was still a lovely evening, albeit hot, and we were sitting right in front of a bunch of drunk co-eds from Peter's Township. How do you get to Market Square from PNC?

Tomorrow, I will start to take my malaria pills, and that makes this whole Africa thing a little more real. I am still looking for one more suitcase, so if anybody has one, give me a holla.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....malaria pills...enjoy the dreams...

Leah

Anonymous said...

Can I see a picture of Rosie now???

Aunt Laine