9.19.2007

Post-Trail Travel

Yesterday, I flew from Pittsburgh to San Diego to visit my sister. Two thousand miles. What took us six months to walk was effortlessly completed in six hours. During our AT hike, my trip to San Diego was often the carrot I chased. My sister and I are very close, and we haven't had a lot of opportunities to spend time together since she moved out West and I became a wandering traveler. I'm extremely grateful to be blessed with such wonderful siblings. Speaking of siblings...it's kind of funny that I am seeing my sister in California before the sibling and sibling's girlfriend and sibling-in-law in Pittsburgh! Pete, Meg and Mary...I know you guys are busy, but we have to get together soon!

M is in the woods. He, rather wisely, opted for the quiet, mountainous Laurel Ridge over the hustle and bustle of SoCal. I drove on the freeway yesterday, and boy, if I didn't already have enough reasons to get rid of my car, I-15 would be it. This is the first time, M and I have been separated for any significant amount of time in over six months. It was hard to say goodbye. But next week, we shall be reunited and figure out what to do next. For us, this involves getting some jobs, finding a place to live, working on our book, and planning our next adventure.

In addition to wonderful siblings, I also have several delightful great-aunts, one of whom I'm going to get to see this weekend. Danna and I are going to drive up to Orange County to see Aunt Jan and clan. Who knows what adventures will ensue?

Most of you readers came to this blog for the purpose of tracking our AT journey. As I publish this post, and those to come, the AT entries will be bumped down the page, until they are finally relegated to the archives...very metaphorical for how I am starting to feel about the trip. As the days go by, the memories of dipping my toes in an icy mountain spring or falling asleep to the calls of loons are fading.

Well, I have to go take care of the important business of letting the dog out to pee. She's looking a little desperate, but that could be a ploy to take her on a walk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably not likely, but since your in Cali, you should come up to the Bay! We miss you! kj

Unknown said...

I spose i'm living in a week a ago, but i just checked back into this thing and noticed that the two of you finished. that is so word i can't even begin to elaborate.

it reminds me of the time that i was hiking in front of the two of you, in, gosh, what must have been Jersey. Anyway, there was a tree at the top of a gently sloping dirt road. the tree had three blazes on it, and Monkey, I overheard you say something like, "Welp, we made it. Maine. Let's go home." Cocoa, you agreed, tongue-in-cheekily.

Maybe you remember that day.. it was the day with the bags-carrying hobo, the thousands of flies at the water pump and a bunch of teenage day hiking campers. Then again, I'm sure there were hundreds of days like that for ya'll.

Anyway, I remember thinking to myself how great it would be if i could actually be there at the end with ya'll.. to hear them words and have it not be a joke. alas, "real life" is sometimes too pushy for its own good.

enough from me. but if yins feet get itchy again, and you head out to NYC, you'd better look me up.

All the best. Really. ALL of it.

Casey