2.03.2009

Steeler Nation

First, a "woo-hoo!" Then, a "shame on you!"

The frenzy of football excitement culminated to hurricane proportions during the last five minutes of the Super Bowl. We shouted. We waved towels. We lit the rally candle, and performed all kinds of superstitious rituals. We ate black and gold food. I have to admit that I did not follow the Steelers much before I moved to Phoenix. Although, I do remember watching Super Bowl XXX with my Grandpa and Aunt DC and my cousins. And my father claims that I participated in the Super Bowl XIII celebrations in utero. In any event, my social life for the last five months or so, has largely revolved around football. So, it's kind of sad to see all these empty Sundays laid out in front of me. But the celebration is not over yet...Mayor SteelerStahl is hosting a parade after all. And apparently jerseys and super bowl t-shirts will be acceptable business attire for the next week or so.

Now, for the admonishment. Shame on you, Pitt students for breaking down the bus stop on the corner of Forbes and Bigelow. Shame on you for smashing up Hillman Library. Shame on you for destroying every bit of landscaping around the Union and
And don't you dare call yourselves part of the Steeler Nation. Youths in other countries hold demonstrations like this when ousting murderous dictators. It is a game. Drink some beer and wave a towel. Take your shirt off and paint your chest. I personally think that Chancellor Nordenberg could send a very strong message by expelling every single student who was arrested on Sunday night. Although, universities are shameless money making ventures, so it is unlikely that any tuition-paying student will be kicked out. But I digress.

Anyway, the point is, it's been great fun watching this team play this year, and nice to be in the city of champions once again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah on the big win!! i was thinking of you two on sunday. interesting that the game was again AZ since that is where you developed your steeler love. :)

kj