7.08.2008

Walkability

Given enough time, M and I will walk pretty much anywhere, as evidenced by our voluntary choice to walk across half the country. For fun.

But I know not everybody is into such an extreme form of pedestrian movement. With gas prices rising, it has become very fashionable to talk about alternative forms of transportation. But over the past fifty years we've created some very auto-dependent communities, and walkability is not something most people consider high on their priority list when choosing a place to live. Walkscore is a website that judges neighborhoods based on how many errands and recreation can be done on foot.

Here is my score for Bloomfield. My neighborhood is deemed a

"Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car. "


What's your score?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Penn Hills rates - Not Walkable: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.

But I disagree. You can walk/bike a lot of places if you like hills.

Anonymous said...

San Diego Walkability-what's this walking you speak of?

Well, I live out in So Cal and I can't get anywhere without going on a freeway. And people out here don't know how to drive so even going out for a run means making sure your will is up to date. But I am going to ignore all that and get a bike anyway!

Anonymous said...

The walk score for Park Plaza in C-ville, VA is 85/100, not quite a paradise, but close. It's one of the reasons I like living here.

Aunt Mary

Trisha R. Butler said...

14 out of 100. But what can I say? We do live in suburban hell. But it is our suburban hell.

k said...

Our neighborhood is so walkable that we did not realize how expensive gas had gotten until yesterday when we actually needed to drive someplace and had to buy gas! The last time I filled up I was still teaching at Propel, so it was at least a month ago. It was definitely NOT over $4 at that point.