1.24.2008

Teaching and Learning

Oh my goodness. The winter weather sure does have all the students in a tizzy, or at least that is the hypothesis of some of the teachers. Today, while attempting to teach a lesson on consonant blends (I know, I know), I had one student leave the room, another student begin to cry uncontrollably because I had a water bottle and she wanted one, a third student growl at me while he slowly ripped up his papers, while two others sat serenely at their seats, holding a SLANT* position, because they wanted to earn tokens, which is my latest attempt at taming their wild behavior.

The thing is, they are very good if I give them worksheets and they can sit quietly and do their own work. Voices at a Level 0, which is to say, complete silence. Everybody seems to enjoy the first ten minutes of class, which I always start off this way. But worksheets, and non-collaborative work, are frowned upon at my school and in education circles in general. I seem to remember spending a fair amount of time engaged in activities such as these during my own elementary days, but education is notorious for blindly following the latest trend, wherever it leads us. I am tired of trying to be creative, or making group activities. I just want them to learn SOMETHING, and frankly, filling out worksheets is great experience for a successful middle-class future. Be honest, grownups, most of you spend a fair amount of time at work filling out worksheets. We just call them paperwork, or forms.

All human behavior is a reaction to environment, so I can't blame these students entirely for their behavior. There must be something in my actions or words that provokes them to act these ways.

Plan of action on my part includes:
(1.) Chill out.
Remain calm at all costs. Do not take it personally. React to all outrageous acts of destruction and wildness with the serene air of a stately queen. Ignore all attempts to win my attention through negative behavior. Walk continuously and unpredictably around the classroom to control minor behavior problems with proximity. Avoid negative statements (stop doing that, don't touch this). Model politeness.

(2.) Bribe them.
Some kids need a little jumpstart to invest them in school and learning. We can call this extrinsic rewards, or bribery. I am making a new behavior chart, I have a treasure chest full of trinkets, and they can earn lunch with me and other teachers (oddly, students dig this).

(3.) Make a plan for removing and/or punishing the most disruptive students. I am kind of clueless as to how to make this work. I guess I will google it.

My mom is supposed to come and visit on Monday and I will be grateful for the extra hands and the observation. I want somebody who knows me and will be honest to give me some advice. Plus, I think reading books with my mom would be a great reward for my most emotionally needy students - my mother is a great nurturer.


*SLANT is a school-wide term that means sit up straight with your feet on the floor and your hands folded, and be ready to listen. But nobody can tell me exactly what SLANT stands for, so I feel a little silly using it. But it kind of works. At least for students not in the midst of a temper tantrum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My "suggestion" . . . . take 3 slow, deep breaths. That's what Grandma tells me to do.
Let me know if this works for you . . . or that it makes your hyperventilate. :)