10.09.2021

Got the car back....again

Shortly after returning from Reno the second time, the transmission in our Yukon broke. For reasons related to an internet misunderstanding over the location of a horse riding lesson, I was with the kids way out in the country at the time and after failing to get AAA to send a tow truck, and also failing at getting an Uber to drive us to Pittsburgh (basically expected, as I only have one review and it's from Reno), I limped the car into a dealership in the town of Washington, PA. 


There is a classic children's book called That's Good! That's Bad! (Rabbit hole alert, I got a kick out of the reviews on Good Reads, people really have strong negative opinions of this book! But I remember my students loving it.) The story shows a ridiculous series of events, many of which seem bad on the surface, but then turn out to be good, and vice versa. 

I find this to be extremely relatable.

Anyway, I rolled in there just before they closed for the day and at the exact moment I was describing my transmission woes to the service tech, another customer came in to return the keys to the dealer loaner car. My children were being extremely well behaved while simultaneously looking a bit weary, which made them all the more charming. Before I knew it, we were back on the road back to Pittsburgh in a brand new Buick. (That's Good) M had some homemade pizza and a cold beer waiting for me when I got home. (Also Good)

It took 3 weeks for them to get the transmission in (That's Bad), but it was covered by the warranty (That's Freaking Fantastic, actually). And now we are left to wonder if we somehow toasted the transmission by towing, although it is well within the weight parameters and we never experienced any problems while actually towing. The mechanics said sometimes they just fail at this mileage and there is some sort of advisory issued by GMC on this particular transmission. We could sell it while it's in good shape and get a truck, but I would definitely miss the 8 seats, and the fact the Yukon fits in our garage. To tow, or not to tow, that is the question. 

I try to make good decisions and exercise reasonable caution. But life happens and something will happen. It might be bad, but also good. Or it might be good, but also bad. 

No comments: