7.10.2009

Summer Updates

Well, we are about halfway through the summer softball league session and the Sons of Pitches had a great showing last night, scoring our most ever runs (9). Other exciting stats include a double play and the fact that we actually made it through the full 7 innings with no mercy rule. Alas, we did not win, but it was exciting enough that our Number 1 fan (see post below) climbed the 20 foot fence. I really feel a Chuck-E-Cheese trip coming on. Games are Thursday nights in Polish Hill; this is a great (and free) spectator event, so join us next week at 6:15.

We also have tomatoes! I got a tomato bush for my birthday and it is producing little cherry tomatoes like crazy. Thanks DC & company! Next year we hope to have a larger vegetable garden, but we have to get our soil in order first.

I am really lucky to be enjoying a not-too-hot summer. Whenever I tell people we are expecting an October baby, someone inevitably says, "Ohh, you'll be pregnant in the summer" with a pitying tone. However, it has not even been hot enough to prompt an installation of a window air conditioner. Not that I am immune from all pregnancy discomforts...I still have morning sickness for pete's sake! And my tail bone hurts when I sit in a chair, which is an unfortunate occupational hazard these days. And it's getting hard to lean over the kitchen sink to do dishes. I have to pee every 10 minutes. And my concentration is disintegrating...I think I finally know what all my little students with ADD feel like! But it occurred to me last night that thru-hiking the AT was really good preparation for pregnancy. As amazing as it was, I got really used to discomfort. And like reaching Katahdin, I know I have something really awesome to look forward to at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get so happy when I think about your baby joining us! I hope you will still be able to Polka in September!!
Love "Great" Aunt DC