7.29.2009

Magee: Oddly Similar to the Hampton Inn

Or maybe not quite...there is no free hot breakfast buffet. But the decor, the ambiance, all resemble a corporate hotel chain.

M and I went on our tour of the hospital today, where we will be delivering Puddin', barring any exceptional circumstances, like not getting to the hospital on time and having a baby in the car. I go to a midwife practice that is based in the hospital, and we got to meet all of them tonight (there are 8 possible people who could be on call). I was greatly relieved to hear that they really do promote a natural approach to birth, and that unless I specifically request it, my labor need not resemble a bad episode of TLC's Birth Day. That is, I will be free to walk around, sit in a jacuzzi, and drink when I am thirsty. There won't be a crowd of doctors and nurses yelling "push!" - which was seriously my worst nightmare since we found out I was pregnant. I wish we did not have cable then, because I watched a lot of Discovery Channel and they really make labor and birth look truly awful. Then I watched The Business of Being Born, which is odd because Ricki Lake is suddenly this rather crunchy natural birth activist...I mean, who saw that coming?? However, this film shows some home births where, although it certainly doesn't look like a picnic, the laboring women are not strapped down in stirrups under bright lights.

I was born at Magee, and I actually do have a few memories of the old part of the hospital when I was really young, like maybe four or five, because my mom taught breastfeeding classes there, and I remember going to pick her up.

So now, we have a onesie, a baby carrier, and have completed the hospital tour. Check those off the baby preparation list. I think I am at that stage of pregnancy where you have gotten so used to it that you just assume you will be pregnant forever, and it's not so uncomfortable to wish you were not. But time is ticking away, and I am now in my third trimester. That means you can tell I am definitely pregnant and not just fat, and that sometime in the month of October, the baby should be fully done and ready to come out.

I think there is still a lot to get done, but I am going to put it out of my head until I finish my much-needed vacation next week.

3 comments:

Yia Yia said...

Oh, to be back in the halls of Magee-Womens, my most fun job ever. Working with expectant and new parents was a blast. The newborn nursery was so crazy and when one baby started crying it could start a chain reaction of a "being in fellowship" kind of wailing with twenty little mouths producing what God intended: an adult response to "Hurry up and do something, I'm a baby for crying out loud!" I was a lactation consultant as well, which sounds kind of "hoo ha" but really, it makes a difference when a new family gets moving in the right direction with just a few helpful hints. So, I guess this is kind of the circle of life, maybe, with K going back to a place of familiarity. But, hey, do you remember the CPR dolls that I used to teach Magee's Infant and Child CPR classes? I would bring them home when I taught out in the community. You, Danna and Pete would set "Billy" at your little play table and have a tea party. Those were the days, all right! Love, G'ma

Trisha R. Butler said...

I also had midwives deliver Sean, and we chose to have our baby in Davis instead of Sacramento for the exact reasons you are describing. I actually did a water birth, which was pretty cool, but it meant that I couldn't be under the influence of any drugs:(

But I swear that the soft lighting and friendly, supportive midwives made all the difference!

Penguin said...

I just watched "The Buisness of Being Born" tonight. I completely agree that I am happy with my choice to go with a midwife and won't be forced to be flat on my back with a bunch of medication--unless that is what I choose at the time...

Gosh, October and November seem to be coming at us faster and faster.

yoga was amazing tonight-the only thing that saved my terrible, terrible day. Enjoy your vacation!!!