10.15.2008

I am not a plumber. Or a six pack.

What is up with all the rich, white guys running for office, thinking they can connect with me by calling me Joe Six Pack? Ok, well, I guess this year, they're not all white. Or guys. Nonetheless, I can't help but feel alienated by this label. It's not that I don't like beer, I just don't usually use it as an identifying characteristic.

Also, what work has Sarah Palin done for children with special needs, anyway, other than popping one out? As a special education teacher, believe me, nothing thrills me more than the idea of actually funding my work. I'm just having trouble locating her track record on this issue.

I just had to get that out. Now, I'm going to try and listen to the debate. I hope they don't say "maverick" tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only caught the tail end of the debate, but I think we made it through without hearing the word "maverick." And, for the record, I am not a hockey mom...or a soccer mom. Mum

Leah said...

Right on. But seriously, no need to hate on beer...

Leah

k said...

Mum-
Are you sure you weren't a soccer mom? I think I remember seeing you on the sidelines from time to time. Just kidding. Actually, I think this says something about how suburban women who are mothers tend to define themselves through their children, rather than their own professional or personal accomplishments and interests. Or at least that's the perception of politicians.

Anonymous said...

Yikes...it is all coming back to me...the Oakland Catholic soccer games...taking a million pictures...running the booster club...making the annual slide show set to cool music...oh my goodness...I WAS a soccer mom. Well, anyway, I guess the seeds of my current obsession with making movies on iMac has it seeds in my children playing high school sports. Oh well, some good came of it. How did you like those slide shows anyway? Much love, the former soccer mom.