3.03.2008

Happy Springer Day

One Year Ago Today...
I had just spent the day climbing Springer Mountain and was lying shivering, but too exhausted to care, in a tiny purple and green tent right next to Stover Creek. We ate chili for dinner and crawled into bed around 6 pm, as it was getting dark and very cold and we were not sure what thru-hikers were supposed to do in the evenings. I was wondering if the pain radiating through my body was normal, or at least average, or if this venture might actually kill me, and now was the time to turn back. Then I fell asleep.

Today...
Alone in my apartment listening to records and feeling very much at peace with myself. The weather was suddenly and unseasonably warm, and earlier, I wandered down Liberty Avenue to Crazy Mocha. My brother just happened to be coming down the street at that exact time, so we had a cup of coffee together. That's what I love about the living in the city....the possibity of just Running Into Someone and grabbing a cup of coffee is very good. M is away in Boston on business, and I'm sure he is learning all kinds of interesting things about coding. I miss him, but we are sort of cosmically connected now, after walking all that way in each other's shoes, so it doesn't feel scary or weird like it once did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you two need to post what kind of music you're listening to, like you used to. I need your help! :)

kj

Anonymous said...

what a difference a year makes!

Vince / Mary in Atlanta