3.03.2008

Ahoy, matey!

Today, while waiting for the bus, one of my most challenging kindergarteners climbed up a few stairs, brought his hand to his forehead and intensely glared out over the cafeteria. I thought he was saluting, or perhaps about to take a dive. I went over to him and resisted the urge to yell.

"Ahoy, matey!" he said.

Ahh, he was pretending to be on a boat.

"Ahoy!" I replied, "Are we anywhere near land, captain?"

He squinted his eyes and gave the cafeteria another hard look.

"No," he said, "Not yet."

He looked a bit worried to be so far out at sea.

"You better check in the crew," I told him, "They're getting restless."

"Arrrhhh," he said, as he wandered back to the line.

He is much better behaved as a captain. The only trouble we had until the bus came was when he refused to put on his backpack. ("This is not a backpack, this is my steering wheel!")

No comments: