7.01.2024

Begin Again

As July kicks off, I am drafting objectives and preparing the required paperwork to declare my intent to homeschool our kids for another year. It's surprisingly emotional for me. Laurel considered a lot of different brick and mortar and online options and is opting to chart her own DIY path through high school. I have every confidence in her ability to create a rich and fulfilling secondary experience for herself. But still, this is starting to feel like a real commitment. (I don't recall signing up to homeschool f o r e v e r.) Last year I made daily requirements...do something from Brave Writer, some math practice, some physical movement, and read and respond to some nonfiction for Social Studies/Science. However, we didn't set aside any time during the day that was for "school," and we tracked our progress more by progression towards goals than butts-in-seats, which is how the state has you do it.  We didn't even really call it school. (Learning is Life, Life is Learning, trying out that unschool-y vibe.)


This year, I'm going to make some more clear divisions around school/work time. In the past, it has been easier to do the same thing with all three kids, merrily moving through our day listening to podcasts and visiting museums, turning on a documentary when we had a question or looking for books at the library. The lines between "school" and "life" were basically nonexistent. This is definitely a great model for kids up to 11 or so, and I think I'd like to preserve this vibe for Max for the next few years. But the older two are getting into projects and pursuits that require a lot more concentrated effort, use of the computer, or time to read and write independently. Plus it was hard to know when it was time to rest if we didn't know when we were at work. We are about to head out on a month long road trip to visit the Maritimes but when we get back, I will schedule out some hours each day

Even if we have a structured schedule, I will remain highly committed to our learner-led vibes. The kids (and M and I!) exercise our freedom to pursue what strikes our fancy, whenever possible. I love our routine of choosing a few big things to work on at the beginning of our year in July, and then revisiting those intentions each month when we plan out what skills we will focus on learning, field trips, classes, documentaries, books, etc. that we will focus on for the month. It is never lost on me what a joy learning is in our household.

So, we begin again, picking up new things to try on and see if they fit, discarding what we are done with. I can't wait to see how this school year unfolds. 

No comments: