11.27.2021

November is Almost Over (already??!!)

I'm in a cycle of observing and listening to the kids more. I've been reconsidering my role as teacher in the house, and wondering what happens if I, basically, don't teach. This might sound crazy because if I am not going to teach the kids then WHO is going to teach the kids? I recently came across the acronym W.A.I.T. that stands for Why am I teaching? Or sometimes Why am I talking? I definitely talk too much in classes/scout meetings/homeschool situations, especially if I'm nervous that kids are getting rowdy or are veering off the path of understanding. More talking on my part, of course, doesn't really correct anyone's behavior, and usually I'm saved by the proverbial bell. I don't have any solid conclusions, I've just been trying to think my thoughts instead of saying them out loud to the kids constantly, and asking them more questions. 

Max has been working on a little 3x5 index card that has the days of the week, the word "dinner" and a meal for each day. He started making this spontaneously during a dinnertime conversation in which we discussed our upcoming schedule and meals we might cook. He mostly writes in capital letters. He can read back what he writes. The letter S always seems to confound him for a moment. 

Marko set a goal to improve his writing in November, but he continued to protest about pretty much any writing practice I offered up to him. He doesn't have anything very nice to add to his portfolio, but we'll stick it in there anyway. 

Laurel wanted to focus on the Middle Ages as a topic to study. She enthusiastically dug into this activity book we got last year from my aunt. There were six models to build (things like a castle that showed a cut-away so you can see how the rooms were arranged). The book also contained some basic information about life in Europe in the Middle Ages. We found a website called the Medievalist, which had tons and tons of great articles, a whole podcast series, and links to youtube videos. It is not for children, so has the downside of being pretty technical and academic. However, there is something very compelling about listening to scholars talk about their passion....whether it is how coconut shells were actually widely used in Europe or how the peasant class felt about the Hundred Years' Wars. She also read a few of the Canterbury Tales, with the help of SparkNotes, which is like the CliffsNotes that I remember from my school days, but better. There are nice little charts that show the characters and annotated text. The internet is an amazing thing these days. So much garbage. So much amazing content.

We wrote some letters to friends and family. Marko met with his aunts about the book they are publishing together. Laurel and I had a book club with these same aunts, where we all discussed Raina Telgemeier graphic novels. 

The Brave Writer One Thing topic was Service, and we picked an organization that collects gifts for kids (at the urging of my mom, who organized huge gift collections every holiday season when I was a kid). We didn't really talk much more about service, but we are helping a loved one navigate a really difficult situation, and definitely building our empathy muscles that way. 

Laurel and I toured the Chatham University arboretum with our Girl Scout troop. We went to the zoo with another homeschooling family and had a blast. We finally made it to the library to swap out our books again. My mother taught them all about bones. We finished our homeschool co-op classes, and Gymkhana classes, and took a break from horse lessons, and had some completely free days at home. 

No comments: