6.29.2020

Writing in Homeschooling

Writing is my favorite, so I was pretty bummed last fall when it turned out to be the absolute worst part of homeschool. They hated it, resisted any activity, called it stupid, would copy things off a cereal box just to get "credit" for the assignment, and cried. There was lots of crying when I tried to teach writing, from all of us. Not a good situation.


Three things helped me turn this around and get my kids to actually produce some decent writing, without fighting.

The first was a mindset adjustment on my part. I listened to a bunch of Brave Writer podcasts and experimented with a less is more policy,  not just with reading but with every subject. I asked the kids how much writing they thought they could do or how many math problems they could manage. I went with whatever they said on a given day, even if it was "1." This was magic. In terms of writing, it meant that I assigned far less writing than I thought prudent, but they still ended up with plenty of pieces to choose from to include in their portfolio.

The second thing I tried was "Free Write Fridays" - there is a whole series of Friday Free Write blog posts on the Brave Writer site with prompts. This is roughly how Julie Bogart describes doing this activity. Once a week, I would read a prompt, set a timer for 8 minutes, and we would all (including me) sit down and write. When the timer went off I would ask if they wanted to share. If they did fine, if not, fine. We put the pieces in an envelope. After doing this for 8 weeks, I gave them their envelopes, which at that point had 8 drafts in it and asked them to choose one that they wanted to revise into a longer piece. Not the "best" one, but one with potential to be something good. Then we started to move through the writing process with that piece. TWO months to get to the revision part for ONE piece of writing. And they could see that lots of the writing they started was worth abandoning. One of my kids suffers from crippling perfectionism, and this helped to reinforce the idea that not everything you produce has to be perfect, but if you want it to be really good, it's not something that happens on the first try. We humans generate a lot of garbage. 

The third thing I did was let them use Google Docs, including the Voice to Type and spelling/grammar check. Basically, they talk to the computer and it transcribes it for them. The feature is pretty accurate, but still makes lots of mistakes. They have to read it back to themselves to see if it captured what they meant. This tool helped them to see that they had great ideas in their heads, or sometimes they would get what they thought was a good idea onto the page and realize it wasn't as great as they thought. I could also get onto their document and leave my own feedback or suggestions and then they could take it or leave it. Does this even count as writing? I thought it was cheating at first. But then I saw that the kids were focused on different elements of writing instead of getting held up on spelling and phonics and paragraph construction. If you are familiar with the 6 Traits Framework, Voice, Ideas, Word Choice and Sentence Fluency are all important features of great writing and these emerged in their pieces. 

It was a nail biting experience for me to reduce the amount of writing I assigned. I felt negligent and anxious about it. But by June, I could see that they actually were learning to write, to revise their writing and to write across different genres. 

No comments: