2.07.2020

Snow Day


"...There is no bill to be paid, only union to be made...." - This line is from the Richard Rohr daily meditation email and references a certain Christian view of salvation, but it keeps running through my head as a personal slogan as we settle into this homeschooling life. When I was a teacher in a school, the learning was very transactional. Not that I expected to be repaid by my students, but we operated on the principle that I would say and do certain things and they would learn and grow in predictable ways. Inputs. Outputs. At home, I have had to lean into the reality that my children do not owe me anything as learners, nor are they firmly stuck in the position of learner. We are all learners. We are all teachers. We do best when we come together. I'm not figuring out world peace over here; it's just fractions for days. But a cozy approach, tucked under a blanket on the couch, high-fives after every correct answer. Tea for me, always. Low cortisol all around. Trusting that when she says enough, it's enough.

No comments: