2.05.2012

Sunday Night Blues

Sunday night, and while the rest of the world watches the Super Bowl, I'm steaming greens for peanut butter spinach. Packing lunches and laying out clothes for tomorrow.

For the last couple of weeks, my friend and her daughter have been coming over to play after school and to eat dinner. They like it because she doesn't work, and the excuse to get out of their house is nice. I like it, because an extra set of hands and some adult conversation at the dinner table is a welcome change from the usual.

Tonight at dinner, I was tired of talking about Thomas and his friends, so I said, "Laurel, the Super Bowl is tonight."

"For me?" she asked.

"No, it's the most important football game of the year. It has nothing to do with you. Who are you rooting for?"

"Maybe we can watch Thomas," she said.

You see what I mean about needing adult conversation?

In positive news, I went running this weekend! Twice. First I've been out in several months on account of my bad health. I felt pretty good and I think I'm going to credit chinese medicine. I've had three weeks of acupuncture and a bit of mayan abdominal massage and I actually feel somewhat human again. I cooked up another bunch of beets and sweet potatoes for my wheat-free, dairy-free lunch. Can't wait to start another day with green tea instead of coffee (can you detect a bit of resistance lingering?).

It's not so much that I dread Mondays. My job can exhaust me (emotionally needy and sometimes hostile teenagers who have a poor grasp of socially appropriate behavior, and no desire to learn math...that sounds like fun company, doesn't it?). But I don't hate it. At least it's not boring.

I just never want the weekends to end. I miss Laurel as soon as I put her to bed on Sunday night. If all goes well, she's still asleep when I leave for work and I don't see her until the afternoon. I see M even less...perhaps an hour or two in between the time he gets home and when I go to bed. They are my two favorite people, and I hardly even see them for 5 out of 7 days.

I know everybody else does this, but I'm not sure this is how families are supposed to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope it continues. Teaching is great, but it's exhausting and stressful in ways that people who've never taught don't understand. I hope the alternative medicine continues to help you -- and the new diet. Love, Aunt Mary

Rebecca said...

That's my exact concern. Family is the most important thing in the world and yet so many families spend so much time apart. I don't have children yet, but I miss my boyfriend so much during the week. I see him for a couple of hours each night, and he unfortunately bears the brunt of my rants and gripes about work. I have many colleagues with children, and they put in so many hours. I just don't think I'd be able to do it.

Hopefully soon you'll start to see some changes! :)