9.04.2006

The Trade Off

M and I have been exploring the concept of simple living for a while now, and by that I mean the idea of finding smaller, low-cost housing with sustainable energy and water sources; getting away from the daily grind of commuting and working for someone else; eating more simple foods; spending more time outdoors. In short, all the things we felt that our time in Phoenix prevented us from doing.

I have realized, as we move around the country, that there is a trade-off...we may give up the frequent access to restaurants and museums that comes from living in an urban area in order to live someplace more rural and affordable. If we decide to 'settle down' in a yurt or a converted school bus, instead of a 2,000 square foot house, I may not be able keep all the books around that I want. Mark may need to cut back his record collection. Some things are really easy to give up...like television and meat. Other things are more difficult to see living without, like a washing machine or full-size oven. The grass is always at least a little bit greener on the other side, and when I see people who have nice houses or things I do feel a pang of jealousy sometimes. There are places that I would love to settle down in, like San Diego, but knowing how expensive it is here keeps it from entering my mind as a realistic possibility.

What I know is that I want to live a life as free from debt as possible, mainly because I don't ever want to feel trapped at my job. I know from experience that even non-profit work can be morally compromising at times. If living in a small, paid-for space might buy me the opportunity to speak up without fear of losing my job, I would gladly do it. In all honesty, I doubt that I would lose my job - but fear is what keeps us from taking risks, and I am seeking freedom from that fear.

No comments: